What makes an apple core decompose? To find out, join EarthGen’s “Race to Decomposition” – a simple investigation using everyday materials from home. Race against time through weekly virtual lessons that explore factors affecting decomposition.
Note: These videos were recorded in the spring of 2020 and reference EarthGen’s former name, Washington Green Schools.
- Soil (not potting soil)
- A clear container with a lid (can be plastic or glass)
- A piece of organic material (apple, banana, bread, etc.)
- Any other materials that you would like to add to your jar to help speed up decomposition
- A notebook or piece of paper (for sketching and observation notes)
- A pen or pencil
- Shannon uses a slice of apple in her jar but any piece of organic material (see materials list for ideas) you have in your home will work.
- Shannon uses a small glass jar, but any clear container (plastic or glass) that has a lid can be used.